Saturday, August 10, 2013

Celebration!

"There is something really special about watching people cry with joy at receiving the Bible in their own language for the first time... Praise the Lord!" ~ a colleague in Bible Translation

Last summer I got to go back to the country where I grew up and celebrate with my friends, a driving force behind the translation work, as they dedicated the finished New Testament in the A language. The emotions present ran the gamut, as we worked on the final preparations for the dedication celebration, joined in the festivities on the actual day, and ran a workshop to promote scripture and local language use in churches. It was wonderful experience! Being in one of my home countries, experiencing again the sights, smells, tastes, culture, language, ways of living from my childhood was fulfilling...even though I was almost 1000 miles away from where I grew up.

Knowing that my work AND the support of friends and family contributes to the work of translation is a joy. There really is something special about watching and hearing about the joy of people receiving the Bible in their own language!

The New Testament recently dedicated
in one of my home countries.
A recent celebration of a completed New Testament.
I teach the daughter of one of the translators.
Helping with the workshop to promote the use of the
local language in everyday events at the church.

No comments: