Wednesday, August 21, 2013

How to make a cloth hammock

One of the things I enjoy doing in Davao is visiting the large banyan (aka balete) tree on Samal Island. I was introduced to this tree by my brother and his friends back in 2001 and I've spent many days and nights in this tree.


Photos from dankatie.com
They also taught me how to make a cloth hammock, which makes sleeping in the tree much more enjoyable. My brother recently asked me to make him a hammock to use here in the US, and many people ask me how to make them...so here are the simple directions.

First buy or collect:

  • 3 yards or meters of a cotton sheet-like fabric. I like fabrics that are 60 in wide but here I could only find ones 45 in wide.
  • 4 yards or meters of thick, sturdy (trust me, this is important!) strap or webbing or rope for the ends of your hammock. 
  • 2 yards of thinner rope or strap to use as ties for the bag.
From your fabric, cut 1/2 a yard or meter off to make the drawstring bag. There are a lot ways to make a simple drawstring bag. I made mine (or I should say my brother's) with 2 ropes to pull it closed.

Next fold and iron the edges of the remaining fabric to create a seam and a loop for a drawstring. 


Sew the seams and drawstring loops on both sides. Sew back and forth a few times (I did 4) to add strength to that seam.

Lastly put 2 yards or meters of strap through the loops on each side. Pull these tight to cinch up the ends of your hammock. 


And your hammock is ready to use!



No comments: